Steven M. Lindholm, P.E., P.M.P.
- Naval Architecture and Marine
With over 3 decades in the maritime industry, being EDT’s naval architect and marine engineer allows Mr. Lindholm to return to his roots while indulging a passion for consulting with EDT’s clients who specialize in ship, marine and cargo incidents.
From the Oakland District office, Mr. Lindholm spearheads towing vessel inspections and audits under Subchapter M. As an approved Third Party Organization (TPO), EDT can audit the Safety Management System of towing vessel operators, issue Towing vessel Safety Management System (TSMS) certificates, survey towing vessels, and issue survey reports.
Beyond his capacity as the TPO lead surveyor, Mr. Lindholm consults on inspection, evaluation, and design analysis of ship construction; stability; propulsion and auxiliaries condition assessment; ballast water treatment systems; vibrational analyses; and ship motion. He interprets and applies international (International Maritime Organization (IMO), class society, and flag state), United States Coast Guard (USCG/CFR), and regional regulations/guidelines to maritime casualties. Mr. Lindholm explores root cause investigation and analysis of mechanical damage to equipment, components, and materials, including fracture analysis and failure analysis, and prepares repair and replace cost estimates for marine, industrial, commercial, and residential systems. He applies the principles of Project Management to monitor work flow of repair/reconstruction activities. Mr. Lindholm also has experience in the design and evaluation of photovoltaic systems.
When not consulting, Mr. Lindholm spends time with his wife and three sons. He enjoys swimming, skiing, hiking, camping, and the occasional bicycle ride. He tends to a multitude of stone fruit, citrus, and other fruit trees and vines throughout his yard. Not one to shy away from an engineering project, Mr. Lindholm equipped his home with a photovoltaic system he designed and installed to NEC requirements for residential solar systems.
Typical Areas of Service
- Hull and machinery evaluation
- Hull, machinery or cargo handling incidents investigation
- Marine codes, regulations and standards application and interpretation
- Cargo damage assessment
- Mechanical systems and components assessment
- Machinery and equipment incident evaluation
- Photovoltaic systems assessment
Mr. Lindholm is a licensed engineer in Alaska, Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, Virginia and Washington.
Recent Forensic Engineering Cases
- Examined the damage to a derrick barge which foundered in a storm and calculated the heeling forces from the wind which capsized the barge.
- Examined damage to an aluminum smelting transfer furnace for determination of the scope of damage and cost to repair.